Dear Lady Gaga,
I know it may seem strange that I am writing you, of all people, a letter to say thank you for getting me through some tough times. There have been other bands and artists in my past who have helped me through bad times - Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Dashboard Confessional, A Fine Frenzy, to name a few. But what made the decision to choose you over them so easy was the way in which your music helped me. In Jr. High and the early years of High School, I turned to Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit and other "angry" music to help me cope with what I like to call my "teenage angst". Screaming along with the likes of them helped me express my anger through music instead of in other, less attractive ways. In my first few years of college, I turned to Dashboard, A Fine Frenzy, The Cure, and numerous other melancholy-sounding bands to help me express my sadness, loneliness, or depression. They sang the emotions that my heart couldn't put into words. And in a way, that was therapeutic.
But you, Miss Gaga, your music did something different for me. Your music helped me get in touch with my happy/energetic self during a time when all I felt was sad. After too long a period of sadness, I realized that my melancholy music was only feeding the depression - and it grew like a greedy black monster whose only goal was to consume and destroy me. With that realization, I decided to get myself out of my "funk" by doing things to make me happy - and what could make me feel more happy at that time than the fun and energetic beat of your song "Just Dance"? I listened to it over and over and over again. I belted it at the top of my lungs. I threw it in a mix with some Michael Jackson and before I knew it, I found myself smiling and laughing again.
So, thank you Lady Gaga, freak though you may be, for making music that makes me smile, laugh, sing, and yes, even dance. You helped me find my true, happy self again, and for that I will be forever grateful.
Sincerly,
Raechel

No comments:
Post a Comment