Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Nobody Likes You When You're 23...

Well Mark, Tom, and Travis,
I sincerely hope that isn't true.

Off the top of my head, I can think of three songs that have to do with being 23. Interestingly enough, not one of them is a happy song. But I'm hoping that age 23 is a happy age for me.

23 Years ago today:

*A wooden fishing boat carrying some 150 people seeking illegal entry to Puerto Rico sinks in shark-infested waters near Nagua, Dom. Rep., after its two outboard motors apparently explode; as many as 100 passengers are feared drowned or consumed by sharks. (source: The Britannica Archive)
*Congress approved S.J. Resolution 108, designating October 6, 1987, as German-American Day. It became Public Law 100-104 when President Reagan signed it.
*Game One of the National League Championship Series where the San Fransisco Giants lost 3 - 5 to the Saint Luis Cardinals.
*Bruce Springsteen's album "Tunnel of Love" was released.
*David Letterman's Top Ten List was the following:

Top 10 Unsuccessful Mall Shops

10. Jiffy-Spay
 9. Kentucky-Fried Pinworm
 8. One-Hour Autopsy-Mat
 7. Fatso Riley's Airtight Hellhole
 6. The Prescription Drug Swap Barn
 5. Big-and-Tall-Men's Lacy Lingerie
 4. Dr. Don's Plasma Pantry
 3. Mookie's Cookie Nook
 2. Giant Radioactive Red Lobster
 1. Grandma's Old-Fashioned Smallpox-Infested Army Blankets 
 
*I was born.

2 comments:

Chamrie Andrews said...

It sure is a lot more fun to sing that little ditty to other people... :) 23 was a great year for me. I loved every minute of it. I hope it's a good year for you too! Happy Birthday!!! :)

Rica said...

That song went thru my mind on my 23rd birthday too...and the weeks leading up to it. Oh Blink 182...

I'm sure it'll be a good year. Hopefully it'll include a visit from a DCite...or you visiting DC.

Love you!