Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Day 9: Someone you didn't want to let go, but just drifted

Now, this is kind of a sad story. My best friend from high school, Whitney, and I lived together for the first two years of college. Apparently that was a mistake. Our lives started going in different directions and before we knew it, we just didn't really understand each other anymore. Because of that (and our very different personalities), we could barely be around each other without fighting or arguing or hurting each other's feelings. So, after our second year of living together, I knew that if we wanted to salvage our friendship at all, we couldn't live together anymore. So, I moved out. I tried for a while to keep in touch with her, but after the move nothing was the same. If we talked, it was purely superficial. The trust just wasn't there anymore. And eventually, I just stopped trying.

That was one of the hardest decisions I ever had to make, because I dearly loved my friend and I didn't want to lose her. But, it was also probably one of the best decisions I've made. She was married within a year of me moving out and now has an adorable baby girl (which I've only seen via Facebook). I wish her the best in her life and hope that maybe someday we'll be friends again.

No comments: