Friday, November 20, 2009

Well, I've got good news, and I've got bad news...

Which would you like first?
I'll give you the bad news.
The bad news is that I'm sick, again. That's right. Sunday night I started getting the sniffles and the cough started to worsen and by Tuesday at work I was certain I was running a fever. So Wednesday I slept through my classes and then went to BYU Urgent Care. The doctor took one look at me and said,"I can already tell that you have H1N1." And I said, "Ok, Doc, but hear me out, would ya?"
I then preceded to explain to him how long I've been sick and how many different things I've been treated for in the past two months, all of which started out just like this (Bronchitis bordering Pneumonia, Swine Flu, Asthma, etc.). He then said,
-"Hmmm...{takes out his stethoscope and places on my back}deep breath. Oh wow. {moves to different spot}Deep breath... uh huh. Yep. Sounds to me like you have Bronchiolitis."
-"Um... what's that?"
The doctor said something about it being a complication of a viral infection that is often confused with Asthma. I tried looking it up online, but it's mostly common in infants.
Anyway, I'm on a crap ton of medication. I tested negative for the H1N1 virus, but he said that 30% of the time when the results are negative, they're wrong. However, 100% of the time when the results are positive, they're right. So there's a possibility that I had the Swine Flu, and I've relapsed, and that is what has caused this complication of Bronchiolitis. He sent me home with a nebulizer machine that I have to hook up that turns liquid medication into a vapor that I breathe in directly for 10 minutes, 3-4 times a day. I also have to squirt saline stuff up my nose 3-4 times a day and blow like crazy. I have cough syrup that knocks me out and I am, once again, taking Tamiflu, just in case.
When I was at the doctor, they took a chest x-ray to be sure, and that's how they saw the Bronchiolitis on my lungs. They also saw that I have a stress fracture in one of my ribs, and I called in today to get the full results of the x-ray and all the nurse did was say that they found something irregular in my right lung that they recommend getting checked out. So, I now have an appointment on Monday for that. Great.

What's the good news, you ask?
Well, it's simply that I get to go home soon for my FAVORITE HOLIDAY. That's right, Thanksgiving. Hopefully I'm feeling better by then!

3 comments:

Kevin said...

Crud, friend, your body just needs to stop being sick. Whatever it is, I hope you're better soon. :)

Mindy Morgan said...

I can't believe my little baby is sick again. What are we going to do to get you well honey? Come home... I will make you some of Grandma's stew and put you to bed.

Rica said...

Boo being sick.
HOORAY GOING HOME!

I'm currently cuddled up next to a warm dog, who is growing more silver by the minute. Too bad I don't have Gilmore Girls to make the night complete.